Nutilite's/Quixtar's Response About Testing
I just got a response from Nutrilite in referance to the questions you should ask a supplier about testing.
Here is their response....
Thank you for your E-mail regarding quality control and Nutrilite food supplements. I hope the below information is helpful to you.
"h Use only highest quality raw materials (many of which are USP-grade, all of which are guaranteed full potency, free of contaminants).
"h One of the few companies that control quality from the ground up. (e.g., soil preparation and aeration by earthworms, utilize alternative farming practices, ¡§good bugs,¡¨ nutrient-rich plants, unique concentration process, etc.)
"h Suppliers Certificate Program (all raw material that Nutrilite gets from an outside source must meet strict requirements as documented by the suppliers Certificate Program. Nutrilite representatives visit suppliers to verify GMP compliance. This is important to assure quality from lot to lot and within lot.)
"h Material initially quarantined until they can pass strict test. If they do not, it is not used.
"h Incoming raw materials and packaging components, including labels, are tested for conformance to specifications. Types of test administered during this phase include: physical (like color consistency), microbiological (yeast and mold counts, bacteria, etc., chemical (potency, impurities)
Quality Production Process/Monitoring:
"h Comply with Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP¡¦s): record keeping, traceability, sanitation
"h Steps in production process/monitoring:
1. Weigh-up ¡V Scales used to precisely measure formula orders.
2. Granulation - (¡§blending¡¨) ¡V to prevent any crosses contamination
3. Compression - (¡§tableting¡¨) ¡V if a tablet does not fall within an acceptable range (e.g., not correct weight, hardness or shape, etc.) it is automatically rejected. This is an automated QC check helps insure consistent manufacturing results.
4. Coating ¡V NUTRILOCK coating surround ¡§swallowable¡¨ tablets to make them easier to swallow.
5. Packaging ¡V tablets are placed in the appropriate containers.
"h Other tests performed during manufacturing:
1. Friability: a type of packaging test that insures the product will maintain integrity during packaging and shipping.
2. Stability: to measure shelf life. Examination of tablet appearance, disintergration time, and vitamin/mineral potencies over a three year period.
3. Samples, raw materials and records kept for at least 1 year past expiration date (this is a drug GMP)
4. System to handle complaints: Quality Assurance Dept. handles all complaints. Allows continual improvement. Complaints are processed as follows:
b. investigated by all parties in manufacturing
c. a response is composed which includes measures taken to prevent recurrence
"h HPLC (High Performance Liquid Chromatography): used for vitamin analysis to insure correct potencies
"h ICP (Inductively Coupled Plasma Atomic Emission Spectroscopy): used to determine concentration of minerals and to verify absence of heavy metal contamination.
"h Disintegration apparatus: used to measure disintegration time. If a product does not disintegrate, the nutrients cannot be absorbed in the body.
"h Clean work areas
"h 100,000-sq. ft. (9290 sq. meters) recently added to Buena Park.
Quality People ¡V Employees
"h All employees have quality in mind:
b. production workers
c. Scientist: ¡§research goes into product, before product goes into bottle.¡¨
"h Degreed professionals in QC (e.g., chemist, pharmacist, microbiologist, etc.)
"h Training programs (outside/internal training program conducted by consultants on personal hygiene, drug GMP¡¦s and other technical matters).
"h Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) newsletter: Employees recognized for a job well done or a problem-solving technique that improved process.
"h Communication with top management: Employees informed on progress of company (Employee meetings, newsletters, and lunch with top management).
If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and I will be happy to assist you further.
Now that's what I call an efficient response.